Friday, September 11, 2020

Svetlana Kulik: I became an IT-schnitz on a bet and I am very glad that I won this bet

QA engineer Svetlana Kulik joined SoftTeco   almost 3 years ago. This was her first job in IT. Although she had thoughts about this area since school. After all, the school was not simple: a lyceum class with a physical and mathematical bias. From there, there is a direct road to IT. But something went wrong and the way was not as fast as expected. 

Jewelry work

- I really wanted to go to BSUIR. But the competition that year just went off scale. Therefore, I entered the BNTU on the specialty "Technology and equipment of jewelry production." I studied well, I really liked it. But then I learned more about the prospects in this area and realized that I needed to change it. I would like to become a gemstone appraiser. However, this would require a very expensive study at an international university. I had no money for this. Therefore, like most of my fellow students, I was waiting for the work of an OTK controller or a technologist, a factory workshop, where I would evaluate products for compliance with the requirements every day - whether there are scratches, chips, whether the earring will break during wear, whether the fastened ones will fly out of it. details, would develop schemes for the manufacture of parts. At the university, in practical classes, I myself processed stones, worked with metals, of course I knew all these technologies. But all my life I was “not warm” to do purely mechanical work, although, I must admit, very interesting.

Login to IT

Sveta, you would communicate with precious stones every day - every woman's dream. But you gave up this dream and decided to go to communicate with computers, become a tester. Why?

- Even at the university, in order to have money, I started working as a barista in a pastry shop. In general, I like to work, I like to perform my duties well, to see the result. Therefore, I liked the job of a barista. But it also, oddly enough, brought me back to my IT dreams. The whole secret is that at that time the confectionery was located in the HTP. And every day I saw these "celestials" - IT people. Then I decided: “I’ll go to your IT and check what you have interesting there”.

But, as usual, it all came down to money? :)

- Yes. And then the fun began. The brother of my boyfriend (now my husband) worked as a programmer. It was he who offered me a bet: he pays for my courses, and if I graduate with honors and receive a letter of recommendation, then I do not return the money to him. Well, who would refuse such an opportunity in my place? :) I went to the courses. Naturally, I was the best in the group by grades, I passed the exam perfectly, received a letter of recommendation, was invited for an interview and ... failed it miserably :) I was horrified, I did not understand anything, I almost cried from shock. I finished the course THEORETICAL "Basics of Testing" - this was not enough for work. So I went on to study. As you can see, my path to IT started out rather thorny. I realized that it is not so easy to enter IT. You need to become a competitive player - not just fill yourself with certificates, but know everything in practice. I found free remote courses on the Internet, signed up for them and studied all summer long, completed practical tasks. The training in these courses was “on the fly”, that is, every week the weak were eliminated according to the results of the work performed. I managed to reach the end;) But, having learned from bitter experience, I did not stop there and found an internship. For a month and a half I trained in a real company. Our mentor constantly told us: "Update your resume, respond to vacancies." So I applied for a QA engineer at SoftTeco in October and got my first long-awaited job in IT. By the way, this time I was given test tasks right at the meeting and I decided everything "from sight". No wonder I put so much effort into practice. By the way computer system engineering salary

Sveta, you give the impression of a very cheerful, active girl. And in testing, completely different qualities are important: perseverance, attentiveness. How are you doing? Not boring?

- In fact, these qualities were also important in my first profession. After all, in order to cut a diamond, you also need to be very careful. Probably, at different moments of my life, the necessary qualities are organically combined in me. When I have to have fun, I have fun. And when you need to be careful, I do everything very carefully and thoughtfully. In general, I really love my job and, for example, if now there was a choice again, I would like to continue to be a tester. After all, this work is very diverse. Team, scripts, documentation change from project to project. I'm not just looking for mistakes, I have to anticipate a lot, predict how it will develop in the future, what can be modified. Therefore, a tester is not an auxiliary employee, but a full participant in the development process.

You guys are so cool!

- And I really like to communicate in a team. I have such soft skills - as a child I was engaged in acting. Each time on a new project, you need to establish communication in the team, find ways for effective communication. Guys-programmers are often introverts. But nothing, it always turns out to communicate :) The tester does what - he finds errors that the developer made. So it is very important to convey that you are not an enemy who shows some kind of oversight. And that all together we are a team and our task is to release a cool product! So that we were told: "Guys, you are so cool!"

- Now I am working on the project in a new capacity - I am an automated tester, well, that is, a little bit of a programmer :) And words cannot convey to you how grateful I am to the guys on the project for their help, they have angelic patience :) After all, they They help me to comprehend the depths in programming :) The team has got what I need! In general, our QA department is very great. We work with concentration, but we also know how to have fun :) It is never boring with colleagues.

Mother of five dragons

Light, but besides work? What helps maintain balance in life?

- About balance - I've been doing weightlifting for about 5 years. But this faded into the background. Now the most important thing for me that gives me vitality is my family, my home and my pets. I am the mother of five "dragons" :) A cat, a dog and three rats. So never ask me a question: dogs or cats? :)

Wow, how do they all get along?

- This is the most popular question. They get along just fine - the rats keep everyone at bay :). I am such a compassionate person, I select everyone who needs help and care. She picked up the rats at the pet store: they remained “the last of the batch” and no one wanted to buy them for a long time. They would have had an unenviable fate if they had not come to me - they would have gone to feed the snakes. A dog from a shelter, a cat - a tossed. The husband already says: "Stop!"

- My family is my happiness. We have known my husband since school and he is my best friend. We support each other, inspire, motivate. Everyone moves forward, develops in their profession. And together we are also moving forward. Family gives me strength and confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment